The Douglas Heritage Museum first opened its doors to the public in August 1993 in one of the village’s oldest buildings, the former Dower House of the Douglas-Home family.
The museum aims to present the significant moments in the history of Douglas by creating exhibitions each year which reflect the life and heritage of Douglas and the Douglasians.
The Earl of Angus statue was erected to mark the bi-centenary of the raising of the Regiment. It also commemorates the death of the Cameronian Regiment’s first Colonel, the Earl of Angus, at the Battle of Steinkirk (Flanders) in 1692. On 17 May 1992 it was given by the Cameronian Trust into the care of the National Trust of Scotland.
Old St Bride’s Church dates to the late 14C. The Chancel survives as a ruin from this period while the tower was built in 1618. The church houses the tombs of the Douglas family and was renovated in the 1880s on the orders of the Earl of Home. The clock is said to have been gifted by Mary, Queen of Scots. Douglas’s fine old clock on the spire of the equally fine old St Bride’s Church, is possibly the oldest working clock in Scotland.
Castle Dangerous was a stronghold for the Douglas family from medieval times to the nineteenth century. The castle was the former family seat of the Prime Minister, Alec Douglas-Home.
Today, only a ruined corner tower of the penultimate castle remains. Three storeys and 9m in height, the tower once stood at the corner of an enclosure, estimated at around 40m across.
Sir Walter Scott used the location and early history of Castle Douglas as the inspiration for his novel Castle Dangerous. The castle is still sometimes referred to by this alternative name.
Tradition has it that when Gavin received warning that the soldiers were in the neighbourhood, he used to leave his house and seek a hiding-place; and many a night he passed in a cave in the ravine formed by the Earnsallach Burn, the stream which flows into the Douglas Water about a mile west of the village.
On this site dwelt James Gavin tailor a hero of the covenant. He incurred the special enimity of Claverhouse who wantonly severed the ears from his head with Gavin’s own shears about the year 1684. To commemorate and perpetuate the brutal outrage Gavin carved the stone, which is set into this cairn, and put it above the door of the house erected by him on this site years after his return from banishment in the island of Barbadoes.
Country Club Inn
47 Main Street
The Douglas Arms Hotel
Centrally located within the picturesque market town of Castle Douglas, the Douglas Arms Hotel was originally a coaching inn dating back to the 1700’s. The coaching credentials and the hotels reputation for hospitality have been well known over the years. Currently owned by the McLaren family the Douglas Arms Hotel is a warm and welcoming retreat for all.
J&M’s Café (rear of filling station) highly recommended by all local people in Douglas.