1. A young James Douglas was sent to France for safety and educated in Paris.
2. He had his land and castle seized by the English and Edward 1 wanted him killed.
3. He met Robert the Bruce and they became great friends fighting many battles together.
4. They won at Bannockburn and reclaimed Scotland’s independence, Bruce became king.
5. Douglas was declared Guardian of the Realm, so if Bruce were to die with no heirs he would become king.
6. He tried to fulfil Bruce’s last request and took his heart to a crusade in The Holy Land, sadly he didn’t make it and was killed fighting bravely against the Moors in Spain.