The Cameronians and the Earl of Angus

The carved stone plaque on the Cairn reads as follows…

HERE ON THE 14TH MAY 1968
WITHIN A MILE OF THE SPOT WHERE
THE 26TH CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
WAS RAISED BY THE EARL OF ANGUS
ON 14TH MAY 1689.
THE 1ST BN CAMERONIAN (SCOTTISH RIFLES)
HELD A CONVENTICLE
AND LOWERED THE REGIMENT FLAG
TO MARK ITS DISBANDMENT
ON ORDERS OF THE GOVERNMENT.

ERECTED BY
LANARKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL
IN TOKEN OF ITS HIGH REGARD
FOR THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICES
OF THEIR COUNTY REGIMENT
DURING NEARLY THREE CENTURIES.
THIS MONUMENT WAS UNVEILED BY
COLONEL THE LORD CLYDESMUIR
C.B. M.B.E. T.D.
LORD LIEUTENANT OF LANARKSHIRE



Earl of Angus Statue

Inscriptions around the base of statue read as follows -

JAMES
EARL OF ANGUS

SON OF
THE MARQUIS OF DOUGLAS BORN 1671
KILLED AT THE BATTLE
OF SEINKIRK
WHEN IN COMMAND OF
THE CAMERONIAN REGIMENT 1692
——————————————————————————–
THE TWENTY SIXTH OR
CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
RAISED BY THE EARL OF ANGUS
WAS FIRST MUSTERED
NEAR THIS SPOT MAY 14 1889
——————————————————————————–
THIS STATUE
TO COMMEMORATE
THE TWO HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY
OF THE RAISING OF
THE SWENTY SIXTH OR
CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
WHICH BEGAN IN 1881
THE FIRST BATTALION
THE CAMERONIANS
(SCOTTISH RIFLES)
WAS ERECTED 1892
THOMAS BROCK R.A. SCULPTOR